UQ Art Museum is home to one of Queensland’s most significant collections of Australian art and is one of the most visited university art museums in the country. Staff and students at the St Lucia campus have on their doorstep a place of engagement where art, ideas, research and learning flourish.
We asked UQ Art Museum Director Dr Campbell Gray for his thoughts on the year ahead:
This year, we’re looking to engage even more deeply with students and academics across the university and provide a counterpoint to classroom study. The primary purpose of museums and important works of art is to ask difficult and important questions – questions that encourage viewers to look differently at themselves and at the world. This process of interrogation is essential for education, and also for life. We find students who engage with us this way have really wonderful experiences, and I look forward to meeting and working with many more of them in the Art Museum this year.
— Dr Campbell Gray
How can you get involved with UQ Art Museum?
In 2016, an exciting program is unfolding, and there are many different ways for you to get involved.
• Check out our program of exhibitions for 2016
• Join us at an exhibition opening – next up on Friday 8 April we launch ephemeral traces, a snapshot of Brisbane’s artist-run spaces in the 1980s
Education and Resources
• Check out the UQ Art Collection Online
• Attend one of our public programs – first up on Wednesday 2 March Max Delaney and Julie Ewington discuss renowned photo-media artist Pat Brassington and, on Tuesday 8 March, a dynamic panel of speakers present The Art or The Science of Learning?
• Talk to our Curator of Public Programs about our learning resources and free events
• Watch a video interview with an artist exhibiting in the National Self-Portrait Prize
• Catch up on some great artist talks or public programs on our Soundcloud
• Flip through one of our exhibition catalogues on ISSUU
On-campus and community engagement
• Talk to your course coordinator about visiting the Art Museum as part of your study program
• Find out more about student scholarships, work experience and volunteer opportunities
• Find out about how our On-Campus Art Program can enliven your learning spaces
• Join the Society of Fine Arts (SoFA) – sign up via www.uqsofa.com or Facebook
• Make us part of your day: follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Sign up to our mailing list
• Spend some time looking at art in air-conditioned comfort, or browse through an exhibition catalogue on one of our sofas
We’re open every day from 10.00 am – 4.00 pm!